The Chapel of the Holy Sepulcher was built between 1782 and 1784 by the design of Antoine Spinelli, and it combines Baroque and Neoclassical elements. Given its age and architectural qualities, it was declared a historical monument in 2000. From its construction, the chapel was entrusted to the order of the Blue Penitents.

The chapel and the Garibaldi Square where it is located blend in harmoniously, since both the square and the place of worship were designed by the same architect and built in the same period of time. The arcaded lower side of the fa├žade is overtopped by a balcony, but the latter was added only about 60 years later, in 1860.

Besides being a place of worship, the building was sometimes used by the local authorities to more pragmatic purposes, such as to welcome the members of the Savoy dynasty whenever they visited the city.

Name:
Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre (Chapelle du Saint Sepulcre)
Address:
7, Place Garibaldi, 06300, Nice, France

7, Place Garibaldi, 06300, Nice, France

Go to top