The Nice Observatory was built in 1878 with the financial support of Raphael-Louis Bischoffsheim. The chief architects of the structure were Charles Garnier (who had also contributed to the design of Opera de Nice) and Gustave Eiffel.

The architectural excellence of the observatory is not reflected only by the artistic merits of the building, but also by its technical features which endow the observatory with the flexibility required by its chief mission, namely, to provide the most comprehensive and exhilarating stargazing experiences to the public. Each of the four facades is flanked by an Ionic column, and the base structure evokes the techniques employed in the construction of the ancient Egyptian pyramids. The impressive rotating 100-tons dome (designed by Garnier) overtops the entire edifice. At the moment of its opening, Observatoire de Nice was fitted with the largest astronomical telescope in the world, which amounted to 76 meters in length. The cupola which shelters the telescope is the work of Gustave Eiffel.

At present, the Nice Observatory is also referred to as the Observatory of Cote d’Azur (Observatoire de la Cote d’Azur). It was declared a historical monument in 1994.

Name:
Nice Observatory (Observatoire de Nice)
Address:
Blvd. de l’Observatoire, 06304, Nice, France
Telephone:
0033 04 9200 3011
Fax:
0033 04 9200 3033
Website:
www.oca.eu

Blvd. de l’Observatoire, 06304, Nice, France

Go to top